Do you find that your students are not as engaged or motivated as you would like?
You are not alone. Based on one Gallup poll asking 5th and 11th-grade students in 3,000 schools whether they agreed with the following statements:
- At this school, I get to do what I do best every day.
- My teachers make me feel my schoolwork is important.
- I feel safe in this school.
- I have fun at school.
- I have a best friend at school.
- In the last 7 days, someone has told me I have done good work at school.
- In the last 7 days, I have learned something interesting at school.
- The adults at my school care about me.
- I have at least one teacher who makes me excited about the future.
As you can see from the chart below, there is a dramatic drop off between 5th grade and 11th grade. Interestingly, McKinsey has found that mindset/motivation is the leading factor in predicting student achievement.
The trend towards experiential learning might be the answer!
This article delves into the idea that coming of age during a technological revolution might be leading to “exclusion, exploitation, radicalization, social isolation, and mental health problems”. With adolescence lasting longer due to a variety of factors, society has a “prolonged period in which to intervene to support and empower teens”. We, as educators, should “tap into their need to be with friends and seek or confer prestige by finding channels for collaborative learning and hands-on experiential learning”.
We would love to help!
At Boundless Adventures we provide an outdoor team-building experience like none other. With 9 courses, 4 different levels of difficulty, there is something for everyone! But don’t take our word for it. Check out our School Trip Planner with testimonials from teachers as well as students.